Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Getting Ready for Church

Oh, my Daven cracks me up. He is a determined boy. When he was in my womb, I used to marvel at his determination. It was like, once he wanted to learn how to do flips in there, he would practice it over and over again. He was like this as a baby, too. He would practice one skill over and over until he mastered it perfectly. Then, he would move onto the next. I swear you can tell so much about them in utero.

On Sunday, he informed me that he can take baths all by himself. I didn't let him bathe totally by himself, but he told me not to watch him, so I just sat in the other room. He started the water himself, washed himself w/ soap, and washed his own hair. I'm sure it didn't get the perfect scrub-down, but I was impressed.

Then, he got his own towel and put on his own lotion. I decided to go along with things and kept encouraging him. I was blown away by this sudden assertion of independence. 

He informed me that he could get dressed by himself. He worked so hard. First was the underwear. He talked himself through it the whole time, just like he was one of those kids on Elmo's World. I was trying so hard not to laugh out loud. "First I put on my underwear, just like this."

Then came the pants. He did excellent with these.

When he got to the shirt, I thought for sure he would ask for help with the buttons. But, no, he has got some stamina. He worked on his shirt for like 45 minutes!! Oh, it was so stinkin' cute.

The socks were next. Then, his tie.

I had to take his picture. This is exactly how he looked. I didn't have the heart to change a thing. I just took his picture and told him what a good job he did. I almost let him walk into church looking like this because he had worked so hard! Bless his little heart. We told him when we got out of the car at church that we just had to fix a few quick things. Luckily, he didn't complain.

Now, if he can just do this every day!!



6 comments:

Chelsea said...

That is pretty impressive! I love how determined they can be. I wonder if Carter could bathe himself. Hmm...I don't think I wannt to let him try!

Maddy said...

Oh my gosh, that is so cute! I've been dying to see the picture since you told me about it. He is just too adorable.

The Reading Armadillo said...

How cute is that?! Don't you love it when they start doing things independently? Although, it also makes me sad because I know they don't need me as much. Oh well.

Ann said...

What a cutie! That's how Benjamin was...always wanting to do everything himself. Brady, however, not so much. He's determined to "be the baby" as long as he can.

Mason Family said...

I know i am so sorry it has been forever. You have to cutest kids ever. Are you or have you already made a trip to Utah? I can't believe how fast our kids are growing up or how old we are now. I will be better in keeping in touch.

Tiff

jacque said...

That is the cutest thing ever! I love the look on his face in the picture. It's like he was saying, "What, there's nothing wrong with this outfit?!"