Thursday, April 10, 2014

Our Spring Break Mini-Cation

I have not blogged in eons. It feels like there are too many posts I need to do to catch up. So, I think I'll just start with something recent and go from there.

Over Spring Break this year, we decided to take the kids on a mini-vacation. Mike had the idea to camp a night in Joshua Tree National Park. What is that you say? I had the same question. I didn't know there was such a place. But, I was up for the adventure. I love that my husband always thinks of fun ideas for us to do.

It was really neat. It was one of those parks where you have to look closely to see the beauty. But we enjoyed it!!

Our campground was so cool....JUMBO ROCKS CAMPGROUND. As you can see, there were huge rocks all around us. The kids enjoyed climbing all over them. Especially Daven. He is growing up!! And he wanted his picture taken all the time.



 This little guy was hard to contain. He wanted to run around and climb. There were a few prickly bushes around, so he kept getting mad at us for restraining him. Here you can tell he is smirkily trying to sneak out of my arms.
 I love that these two are still really good friends. They can find ways to hang out and entertain each other everywhere we go.
 I found a recipe on Pinterest for Pizza Tin-Foil Dinners. (Mike and I did fajitas). But they were a huge hit!!! The kids loved them. Kallen kept shoving pieces in his mouth. The kids still ask me at least once a week if I can make them at home. Ahhh, the joy of how good food tastes when you are camping.
 Mike took these amazing shots by the campfire. I am so lucky he is so good with a camera!! Reason 921 why I picked such a great husband :)

 And I had to throw in an early morning tent photo. We have lots of these of the kids over the years. And they always steal my heart!!

 This is called SKULL ROCK. Cool, huh? I couldn't believe how much it looked like the real deal. Highly recommend Jumbo Rocks Campground.

 We learned the the Joshua Tree was named by Mormon Pioneers. I guess they were traveling and making various settlements. In this area and in Nevada, they saw lots of the trees. They felt like the branches looked like arms raised up in supplication to the Lord, thus naming them after the Biblical Prophet, Joshua.


 Then to the beach in California. My kids had a blast!!!! I was shocked at how brave they were and kept running in the water and jumping over the waves. They usually hold back, so we were surprised. Avery is going to be our little fish. She was the daring-est one of them all!
 My kids are so cute!!!!


 Spent a day at Knot's Berry Farm. Had never been there before. Kallen hated the Merry-Go-Round. We were very disappointed because the kids section, other than this ride, was closed :( I think we will have to go back another time when the kids are all older. Lots of really fun roller coasters for the older kids.


 I got talked into the rafting rapids ride with the kids. And guess who got soaked??? Yep, Me!!! ALL over!!!!!
 I think Kallen reminds me of Charlie Brown. I don't know if it is the way his shirts fit, his little legs, his smirk, or his walk. But he is just so cute and I call him Charlie Brown sometimes.
 Daven will kill me for posting this picture. He thinks he is way to big and cool for this ride now. I guess he is growing up.
There was one ride Kallen liked and it was the train ride!! I am so glad we finally made it, after at least 4 attempts and missing it each time. What a cutie and trooper to spend the day watching all of us go on rides.

1 comment:

The Reading Armadillo said...

Looks like a fun trip! Your family is adorable!