Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A Cute Case of Helmet Head

Well, today was the big day. Kallen went to Cranial Technologies to get his Helmet. Or, I guess the official term, DOC Band. It went so much better than I was anticipating. I have been very pleased with this company and the process involved. It is a long drive to Phoenix Children's Hospital every week, but I am positive it will be worth it.

Kallen has some torticollis (tighter neck muscle, actually pretty common among babies). I noticed around 2 months of age that he always slept on the right side. I tried to do stretches every day with him, tummy time, and bjorn rides as much as possible. But at night, he ALWAYS slept on that side. Even if I would turn his head the other way, he would move it back 2 minutes later. Needless to say, he developed a flat spot on the back of his head. I guess to compensate, the brain has started growing outwards (sideways) as well. So his head is wider than it should be, too. We also noticed a small bump on his forehead as the brain is trying to push out that way, too. The growth of the brain is also causing his right ear to move forward. 

It is amazing how much I am learning. And amazing how the brain doesn't care WHERE it grows, just that it grows. It also fascinates me how FAST the brain grows at this age. They feel he will be in the helmet for 8-10 weeks. That just seems so fast, but apparently will capture a ton of brain growth. 
 Kallen and daddy. He is such a happy little guy. He was so excited to be at PCH. The whole time he just kept checking out all the lights and fun toys! Exciting times!
 I can't even tell you how much I love this little baby boy! His smile melts my heart. He is our little smiley guy.
 On it goes for the first time.....
 He didn't cry & he still looked like my sweet baby "K." 
 Cutest kid I have ever seen. I think he looks cute in it.

 Toys, toys, give me TOYS! He was a little intense, and could have cared less about the helmet. He just wanted to explore and put the toys in his mouth.
 When we got home, we had to take his clothes off. This kid is a spitter. He was soaking wet, as usual. He was so happy, though, all day long! I was so glad that the helmet didn't seem to bug him. He is sleeping right now, I have my fingers crossed, hopefully it will be a good night.
He did get sweaty in the helmet. Every time we took it off for the skin checks he was sweating. I feel bad about this, but they say it will get better in about a week as his body adjusts. And poor guy, lives in Phoenix...hottest place on Earth right now.

Kallen, we love you and your cute little head. I can't imagine it getting any cuter :) Love you buddy.

We went to a place that makes wraps for the helmets. We are going to make it a University of Utah helmet. I know, hard to imagine him looking any cuter, but soon he will :)

No comments: