Monday, September 8, 2008

My Lego Maniac




Daven is turning into my little LEGO MANIAC. He got some Legos for his birthday in April. He absolutely has fallen in love with them. At first, he really struggled getting them to do what he wanted them to do. Keep in mind, these are real, small legos. It took me an hour on his birthday to put together a little digger. I gave up on the dumptruck, couldn't get it to work & left it for daddy when he got home.

But, persistence is Daven's middle name. He plays legos for at least 2 hours every day. He is quickly mastering the art.

About 2 weeks ago he worked on the garbage truck you see above from 1 pm to 4 pm. I couldn't believe it. That thing is so hard to put together. I couldn't do it. But, he used the instructions and just kept at it. Mike said he had to help him in 2 small parts. Daven was so proud when he was done!! I was, too, I have to admit. I had to take a close-up of it.

Mike's mom always tells the story of how much Mike loved Legos when he was a kid. She always says how he would disappear for hours in his room and then come out with these imaginative creations.

Seeing any parallels here? I guess Daven is like his Daddy in more ways that one. I think it is very cute. He is getting very creative. Today, he made a garden. The other day it was a crane (pictured above), complete with the big arm that ACTUALLY moved up and down. 

I have to say, though, I have a hard time connecting with him on the lego level. He has gone way over my head now. Guess it's not going to be the first time.

5 comments:

Maddy said...

Ahhhhh, the famous garbage truck! It is so cute.

AZ Hey-mon said...

I have a really hard time paying attention when my boys create something and then are explaining to me all the detailed parts,what they do, and why they do it. I nod my head,smile, and say "wow that is really cool, you worked hard on it.Awesome!" your lego maniac is too cute.

Shauna said...

That is really amazing that Daven made a truck! I'm so impressed! I love it when kids get so involved in something that helps them be creative.

Terra Zobrist said...

Once boys are hooked by Legos it is a life long obsession. Crew is totally addicted and Aaron still has to get his Lego fix.

jacque said...

I think the legos are definately a boy thing. Skye creates stuff with the girls all the time, but the thought of dressing or accessorizing a Barbie kills him. He doesn't get how you could do that for a long time. I'm like---um, Legos?! I'd much prefer the Barbie! :)