Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Daven's Surgery


Daven had surgery yesterday. Here is a picture of him right before they took him back. 

He had a birthmark (nevus) removed. It was on his buttocks. Because of the location it is hard for me to monitor it and there is a chance it could turn cancerous when he gets older. 3 different doctors told us they thought it needed to come off. We felt like it was the right thing to do. But, still, with general anesthesia, a mom just gets all worried about things like this. Unfortanutely, it is too big to take off with one procedure. So, we have to go back and get the second part taken off in a few months.

Daven was a very brave boy. He did cry on the way to the hospital. I think it was out of sheer frustration from not being able to eat anything all morning. He was sick of popscicles :). The surgery was at Phoenix Children's Hospital. We got all checked in & then Daven cheered up. They gave him a stuffed animal when he first got there. He named him Yoda since he was too little to be called Darth Vader :) They let him pick his jammies & socks. He looked so cute in them. They showed him the mask. I was glad Mike piped in, "Look you can breathe into it like Darth Vader." He wasn't scared about that at all. Way to go, Daddy!

Then, they had a big playroom in Pre-Op & let him play until the surgery. He was super excited about that. 

The surgery went well, but was the longest hour of my life. I kept thinking, what if this was heart surgery and was 3 hours or something like that? I don't know if I could do it.

I am so thankful everything went well. He hasn't even needed pain medication yet. I am amazed at how quickly kids bounce back. Oh to be 5 again! The hardest part is keeping him down to rest. He has so much energy.

4 comments:

John and Rachael Alexander said...

what a brave little cutie! glad everything went well!

Kathleen said...

he is SO adorable in those jammies! what a sweet boy, getting sick of popsicles! it sounds like that is a GREAT hospital, they took good care of your boy!

Nick and Erica Hart said...

He is so brave oh my goodness! And how cute and sweet does he look in that picture??

Maddy said...

He is SO DARN ADORABLE!!! I'm so glad he did so great :D

And imagine my surprise to see my sister on your blog. That's so funny/ Just another reason she should move here.