Sunday, June 15, 2008


So, yesterday was a really hard day. We attended the viewing and funeral for baby Daxton Kunz. We are good friends with his parents, Doug and Brittany. We love them so much!! We have know them since we lived in Austin. Doug works with Mike, and they came to Arizona a few years after we did. I am putting a picture of the obituary because some of you said you wanted to contribute to the memorial fund.

The funeral was so heartbreaking but Mike and I both agreed it was one of the most beautiful services we had ever been to. They had so many gorgeous pictures of Daxton, what a beautiful baby! They also had a very nice video memorial as well. We were amazed that Doug and Brittany were able to have the strength to speak. They paid a perfect tribute to their little guy, relishing in all of the happy memories. I was strengthened by their strength and their testimonies. 

A few things stuck out that I will never forget. Doug got up and was just filled with so much wisdom. He bore testimony of the atonement and how grateful he was for it. He said that although the knowledge doesn't take away the pain it does provide some comfort during this time. Brittany said that they gave Daxton lots of kisses all the time. She said that he was rocked to sleep and sang to every night....Her words were, it took like and hour to put him to bed every night, but it was worth every minute." I will never forget that.

I am so grateful to know such wonderful people that are so strong in the gospel. They truly strengthened me yesterday. I am also grateful for little Daxton. I keep thinking about how his life touched so many....he taught us all about the reality of Heavenly Father's plan.

I wrote a little poem this week as I was so sad by this tragedy that seemed to hit so close to home. When something like this happens to people you know well, it is hard not to imagine what you would do and how you would feel if it happened to you. I wrote down my thoughts after putting them together in my head on Tuesday night after getting Logan to bed.

Two beautiful eyes,
The most beautiful blue I've ever seen.
So brightly on your face,
They always seem to gleam.

Two chubby feet,
Ten perfect toes,
Cute, adorable cheeks,
And a beautiful little nose.

Two wobbly knees,
Scooting 'cross the ground.
You always made me smile,
At every little sound.

Now you have returned to your Father in Heav'n above,
How I wish that you were in my arms,
And you could feel my love.

Just know my little baby,
You will always be.
I'll be counting the days until forever,
When I'll hold you in eternity.

4 comments:

staci said...

Rickie, that was a great poem you wrote. Wow, that post made me cry. What a darling little boy. What happened, do you mind me asking? I can't even imagine having to go through something like that. He must be one special little boy. You just never know. I guess that's a lesson for all of us that you just never know what is going to happen and to enjoy each day and live in the moment. I know that's a lesson I need to learn. Wow, thanks for that great post! :)

Chelsea said...

I completely ditto Staci's comment. You are so awesome, and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Maddy said...

Beautiful poem, Rickie! What a sad day. I was totally thinking of you all Saturday. I know that must have been hard. What a sad reminder of how precious each moment is with our kids.

The Reading Armadillo said...

I happened to be blog hopping the other day and came across your friends and their sad story. It broke my heart. Thanks for your beautiful poem, and please give your friends my condolences, even though they don't know me.