Saturday, January 3, 2009

Getting Ready for the Big Day

I really wanted to do an Advent Calendar for the boys this year. I've wanted to do one for the last couple years, but just haven't been able to make it happen. I decided that it still seemed overwhelming to think about doing a big activity every day. So, I thought I would simplify my life.

We bought those "chocolate" advent calendars from Michael's. The one's where you open a door and find a chocolate ever day until Christmas. We used to love those as kids. My boys got so into them. The first thing they would say every morning is, "Can I have my chocolate?" They loved it when I would forget to eat mine one day, because then they got two. Yes, I bought me one of course!

I decided to try and do one big, fun activity every week with them. So here are our happenings.


Week 1: Making a Gingerbread House

I was surprised by how much Logan knew what to do. As soon as I set out some candy for him, he went right to work putting it on. The gingerbread house was the first thing they showed everyone when they came over.

Week 2: We took the boys to see Santa & went to see the Temple lights at the Mesa Temple.

Week 3: Making Cookies for Santa.
The boys made a royal mess. I made my friend, Michelle's, sugar cookies on Christmas Eve. The boys favorite part was cutting out the shapes. I wish I had a picture of how they turned out. They were pretty cute.
The other favorite part was licking the beater. Logan got Daven's leftovers. But he didn't mind.
This was a bigger mess in real life. The boys were taking turns putting in the ingredients. I put 1 c of flour in. Daven turned on the mixer full blast. Flour was everywhere!!! I decided that I was going to give Elder Wirthlin's advice a try to LAUGH instead of show my frustration. It worked. Daven just smiled. I could tell he was surprised by my reaction. If only I could do this more every day.

I felt like I really got to enjoy the preparations this year. Maybe the simplifying worked for me. But if any of you have a cute advent calendar idea, let me know. I  just want something simple yet fun for the kids (and easy for me!).

No comments: