Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Serious Conversations

So last night, I had a lot of explaining to do to Daven. And not about the usual day-to-day things. Around bedtime, he started asking me lots of questions about dying and going to heaven. We talked for like 15 minutes about it. He almost made me cry. I kept thinking, Mike, I need you to help fill in the gaps, but Mike had to work late last night, so I just did my best. I think he was a little afraid of the whole thing, so I tried to make it all seem okay.

It all started when there was a fly in our house. Daven is terrified of flies (and all bugs). Hmm, wonder where he gets that from?

I kept trying to get him to go in the kitchen to throw away his sucker and wash his hands before bed. Logan was sound asleep on my lap, so I didn't want to move just yet.  Daven was TERRIFIED because of the fly. "What if it gets me?"

Then, he started asking all kinds of questions about flies. Like, "do bugs live for a long time?" "Is the fly dead?"

In desperation, I told him, the fly is sleeping. Daven kept probing like, "Will he be dead in the morning?" And to make him feel better, I said, "Probably." Woops!

Daven got all sad and said, "I am really going to miss that fly when he goes to Heaven."

I shouldn't have, but I thought, hmmm this is a teaching opportunity. I told him, well, Heavenly Father loves even the flies. You will get to see Him in Heaven.

That sparked the whole thing!  He asked, "When I die will I go to Heaven?"

I told him, "Yes."

He just started to sob. Seriously, tears started coming down his little cheeks. This is what he said, "Well, I don't want to die because I would really miss my LEGOS." 

So, then we talked a lot about how Heaven is such a happy place. I told him that I bet they have lots of Legos there. He didn't believe me at first. But, I just can't imagine Heaven not having lots of fun toys for the kids to play with. Finally, after lots of convincing he felt a little better. He asked, "Do you think they have Police Headquarters LEGOS in Heaven."

I told him "Of Course." That made him feel a lot better. 

That was a toughy. And, I just wish we had more preparation as moms for those converstations, but they always seem to come out of nowhere. I just kept hoping I said all the right things. He had so many questions.

But, what made me laugh was that, he is not going to miss us in Heaven, just his LEGOS.

3 comments:

AZ Hey-mon said...

Austen will be happy to know this also. I think it was sweet he was also gonna miss the dead fly that he was so scard of.
He is such a tenderheart!

Dave, Bonnie, and Taten said...

I love your new family pictures. Your family is so cute. What a sensitive little guy. 1 serious conversation down. Only 999 more to go.

jacque said...

Deep thoughts by Daven. Sounds like you rallied the questions really well! That cracks me up that he is going to miss his legos!