Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Potty Monday

So, I just have to write about this. Most of you know about the excruciating year we've had trying to potty-train Daven. Well, on Monday, he went poopy on the big potty without a diaper. It was so amazing. Angels appeared in our bathroom and started singing the hal-le-lu-iah chorus. Just kidding, but that is how I felt! He has been going #1 for a while. But, the only way we could get him to do that was by putting him on the potty when he needed to go...with a diaper. Eventually we were able to wean him off the diaper. Then we have been struggling with #2. Finally, for the last 2 months, he has been able to go #2 if we put him on the potty with a diaper.

Last week, I told Daven in desperation, that the garbage truck doesn't like big boy poopy's. He looked very sad, but looked as if he believed me. My boys are both obsessed with garbage trucks. The next day, we put him on the potty. Mike secretly altered the diaper by cutting a giant hole in it. He said Daven's face was priceless when he went and it fell in the potty. Well, on Monday, he did it without the diaper.

Daven's comment: "Mommy, is the garbage man proud?"

I think I am going to publish a book about how to potty train the difficult child.


5 comments:

jacque said...

Yeah for Daven! I love that Mike rigged a contraption with his diaper--the extremes we go to to get our kids to go to the bathroom. Hopefully he's turned over a new leaf! What a boy to be concerned about the garbage truck!

Maddy said...

That is PRICELESS! The diaper hole was pretty ingenious.
Don't you just love how becoming a mother makes it OK to talk about bodily functions? Especially when you're potty training. It becomes almost an obsession.

PS Thanks for waking up early TWICE for me this week. It's been fun seeing you so much

The Reading Armadillo said...

Please write that book! I will be the first to buy it. I'm at a total loss.

Chelsea said...

I love Mike's ivention too! I am not allowed to talk about potty training though. Maddy has strict orders for me to zip it. Apparently she thought I had it easy?! :)

Your Easter boys are so cute. I love how strong willed these boys are these days!!!

staci said...

Sorry you have had such a hard time with the potty training. Tyler was actually really easy. I don't know what I did right, but he was a champ at it after about a week. I don't have any words of advice, other than just stick to it. He will get it eventually!! :)